[Mastwatch] Maliau Basin

Cam Webb cwebb at oeb.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 21 19:44:58 PDT 2007

Hi Mastwatchers,

I'm at the Maliau Basin at the moment in South-central Sabah, and there is
a huge mast going on.  We are probably about a week away from peak
fruitfall.  All dipts (ca. 20 spp seen so far), Durio (3 spp), Nephelium,
Castanopsis, Alangium, Koompassia ... We've been up to 1000 m, and if
anything the mast is even more pronounced at 500-900 m, with ca. 50% of
all big crowns brown or red with fruit (seen from above).  Seems fairly
local, with nothing happening in Lambir, although Colin Maycock said there
were a few dipt species fruiting at Sepilok, and we picked up some forest
durians at a roadside stall on the way up to Gn. Kinabalu.