[Mastwatch] Sumatra: Shorea platyclados

Gabriella F gmfred at indo.net.id
Sat Dec 12 23:30:08 PST 2009

Dear All,

In Sumatra (North Sumatra Province, Batang Toru, South of Lake Toba)
at 1000 m asl. Shorea platyclados has been in full fruiting now (see
picture) but at this altitude there are few other dipterocarp species
(Dipterocarpus crinitus, Shorea acuminata also had fruit). But I'm
not sure if one can speak of 'masting'. We have only been doing
phenology in this site for 1 year.

Next week I'll be heading to east Kalimantan and can then report on a
lowland forest there (Sungai Wain) where we have 12 years of
phenology studies ongoing.

Best regards,
Gabriella Fredriksson

Please send larger messages/attachments to my gmail account:

gabriella.fredriksson at gmail.com

The gmfred at indo.net.id account get's clogged up quickly and will be
terminated in the near future.

Gabriella Fredriksson

In Indonesia:

PO Box 270                      or      PanEco-YEL
Balikpapan 76110                        Jl. K.H. Wahid Hasyim No 51/74
Kalimantan Timur                        Medan Baru
Indonesia                               Medan 20154
www.beruangmadu.org                     Sumatra Utara

Phone:+62-813-97822007

In the Netherlands:

University of Amsterdam
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED)/Zoological Museum
Mauritskade 61
PO Box 94766
1090 GT Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel +31-20-525-7181
Fax +31-20-525-7238
(Co-Chair Sun Bear Expert Team IBA/BSG/IUCN)