[Mastwatch] Mast at Gunung Palung

Sakai Shoko shokosakai at chikyu.ac.jp
Sat Oct 17 00:12:39 PDT 2009

Dear Cam and others,

We are also seeing relatively large flowering in Lambir, Sarawak.
Flowering are especially intensive around the canopy crane plot, where
flowering is the largest since the
establishment of the plot in 2000. Probably 70 % of canopy trees have
some flowers/fruits, while it is not so much at some other areas of
the park probably.
Flowering of Dryobalanops has already finished one month ago, while
many Shorea species are still flowering.
This year we had minor flowering in June, thus some dipterocarp trees
have both flowers and almost
mature fruits. We are observing flower visitors, but we see less giant
honey bee hives comparing with flowering 1996.

I heard that flowering also occurred in the upper Baram, some part of
Sabah, and around Kuching.
We already enjoy plenty of durians in local markets.

Shoko SAKAI