[Mastwatch] Flowering in Sabah

Colin Maycock colin_maycock at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 18 19:00:42 PDT 2009

Hi All,

Things are a bit different in Sabah.

In Sepilok
We had a big flowering of Parashoreas (P. malaanonan and P. tomentella) in Sepilok in late May, plus a few trees of Shorea leprosula & S. johorensis and 1 Shorea seminis. We had another small flowering of the Parashorea, plus a few other species Vatica rassak, Dryobalanops lanceolata & Shorea almon in September. And for the tenth year running - I don't think we are going to see any significant recruitment in Sepilok.

In other parts:
We had a big flowering in parts of the upland MDFs of the Trus Madi FR in early August - with S. parvifolia, S.parvistipulata, S johorensis, S. platyclados, S. ovata, H. montana, H. plagata and P. malaanonan all flowering.

We also had a smallish flowering in the upland MDF of Mt Kinabalu in July/August - with S. hopeifolia, Dipterocarpus ochreaus and D. humeratus flowering. There have also been flowerings in the Sungai Imbak, Lingkabau amd Timimbang FR - from what I've seen they aren't huge and it is unlikely there will be any significant natural recruitment. Especially as we are stripping most of the interesting trees (i.e. non-Parashoreas) of their seed crops for restoration work in Sabah.

Colin