[Mastwatch] Flowering in Sabah

Peter Shaw Ashton pashton at oeb.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 20 09:11:40 PDT 2009

Dear Colin, Shoko - and others?

This is all quite fascinating. The data available since c.1958 suggests to me that, in the northern dipterocarp flowering province (i.e. generally February-April but occasionally July-September) there has been a tendency for a light flowering early in each decade and a stronger one late in it. Areas which seem to be mainly in the southern flowering province, such as E. Borneo, seem to have a more mixed track record.

For Shoko: There was a student from Osaka City U. some years back who studied flowering phenology of merantis at Lambir, but never published (I think). (was her name Suzuki?). Her work seemed to indicate some fascinating patterns, which I hope it is not too late for you to check. I remember the following:
-Groups of related species do flower in overlapping sequence, as at Pasoh, but there is much more confusion because there are so many more species; however:
-Species in Shorea sec. Mutica, if  separated into two series - of sandy and on clay soils, then conform much more convincingly to the Pasoh pattern. The big exception seemed to be the species related to S. macroptera (with two subspecies, one more on clay, one on sandy soil, S. acuta and S. slootenii (sandy), S. ferruginea (clay) and S. myrionerva (clay, streams), all of which seemed to flower simultaneously right at the beginning. It would also be really interesting to check population samples of these species for fruit with variable but high multiple seeds/seedlings, implying adventive polyembrony, that Awtar Kaur found in S. macroptera at Pasoh.
-The yellow merantis completely ovedrlapped with the reds, but may also have two series, on each soil. The evidence was less clear among them.

What other pollinators are you discovering?

Cheers?

Peter