[Mastwatch] Sumatra: Shorea platyclados

Gary Paoli gary.paoli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 00:39:39 PST 2010

Dear all:

An update from a recent short trip to Lamandau District in southeastern
Central Kalimantan, about 2 hrs drive northwest of Pangkalan Bun.

We did a very rapid survey of a mosaic of disturbed vegetation types
including remnant forest patches (some a few 100 ha in size) in an area
under development for oil palm. Elevation ranged from 80-300 m a.s.l.,
mostly well drained mineral soils, flat to hilly to steep terrain. Most of
the remnant forest was logged over, but there were some small, somewhat
steep sided hills (200-300 m elevation) that showed no signs of disturbance.

The forest was full of fruit, with much of the non-dipterocarp elements
already fully mature.

Among the dipterocarps fruiting were: Dipterocarpus pachyphyllus, D.
cornutus and D. oblongifolius; Shorea hopeifolia, S. parvifolia, S. cf
parvistipulata and three other indet Shorea spp; one indet Hopea sp.

In an adjacent area of intact freshwater swamp forest lining a network of
interconnected lakes, there was a population of large (some >80 cm dbh)
Shorea balangeran, with most trees in fruit, though small crops.

A rough estimate based on non-systematic sampling is that at least 50% of
dipterocarp trees >50 cm had at least some fruit present (c. 20% of crown),
and about half of these were large crops, especially the Dipterocarpus spp.
Notably, in forest remnant c. 15 ha in size along a slowing moving
meandering river, there was a large population of Dipterocarpus tempehes
with trees 40-60 cm dbh, but zero out of about 20 trees fruiting. Likewise
in the same fragment was a decent but possibly sub-adult population of
Parashorea cf lucida, none in fruit. This fragment was extremely isolated
and surrounded by recently planted oil palm.

A partial list of non-dipterocarps fruiting were Dyera (2 of 3 trees),
Swintonia (7 of 7), Vouacanga (2 of 2), Chisocheton (1 of 1), Aglaia (2 of
2), Xylocarpus (1 of 1, in swamp forest), Polyalthia (3 of 3), Koompassia
excelsa (roughly half of c. 20 trees), Strombosia javanica (1 of 1), 4-5
species of Knema and Myristica (7 of 10 trees total), one species of
Syzygium (1 of 1), Octomeles sumatrana (1 of 1), and in the understorey
Eurycoma longifolia (flowering).  Reproductive status of non-dipts was much
more variable, and I can’t put a reliable estimate on percentages fruiting.

All in all, there's a lot of fruiting happening there.

Cheers,

Gary