[Mastwatch] Reproductive failure during a general flowering

Colin Maycock colin_maycock at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 04:06:24 PDT 2010

Hi All,

Our flowering event is almost coming to an end. So far about 70+% of all tree greater than 30 cm dbh  & ~85% of all trees greater than 50 cm dbh have flowered.

The depressing news is that despite this being a big flowering event, it seems that Shorea waltonii - a rare and critically endangered Sabah endemic will fail to recruit this year. Only about 1/2 of my GPSed Shorea waltonii flowered, with most doing a fairly poor attempt, and as it flowered very early on in the flowering event the maturing seeds have been decimated by pre-dispersal vertebrate seed predators. It looks like very few will make it to fruitfall.

As Sepilok contains one of the last remaining largish populations of this species - this is not good. I was wondering if anyone else was seeing recruitment failures in rare Dipts?

Thanks

Colin