[Mastwatch] Back to Back ?Mastings

Ashton, Peter pashton at oeb.harvard.edu
Sat Aug 6 03:25:11 PDT 2011

Hi Colin!

Exciting: Keep me in the loop!

Peter
From: mastwatch-bounces at lists.phylodiversity.net [mastwatch-bounces at lists.phylodiversity.net] On Behalf Of Colin Maycock [colin_maycock at yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 10:20 PM
To: mastwatch at lists.phylodiversity.net
Subject: [Mastwatch] Back to Back ?Mastings

Hi All,

Things are about to start flowering in Sepilok. I did a quick check on some of the Dipts that lead off our GF events (Shorea confusa and Dipterocarpus applanatus) and have flower buds on these. These are relatively rare species in Sepilok i.e. only 3 and 5 individual in our 160 Dipt plot - so it is hard to know at this stage how big the event will be.

I also have bud starting to develop on Shorea xanthophylla - but at this stage they are tiny and can only be see when you are in the canopy.

Last year we had about ~60% of the adult dipts flower i.e. 3253 trees of the 5549 in our 160 ha Dipterocarp plot flowered.  We saw lots of variation in terms of the % individuals that flowered among the different species ranging from 0 % in Anisoptera costata up to 93% for Shorea multiflora.

Colin