[Mastwatch] Casual observations at Gunung Palung

Andrew J. Marshall ajmarshall at ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 10 08:45:41 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

	A quick note from Gunung Palung. I was just up at Cabang Panti, our research station. It was a short trip, so I didn't do any focused pheno work myself (although our assistants are still doing monthly monitoring of stems in our plots). But I did notice that a several Shorea individuals (including, but not limited to, S. quadrinervis) were fruiting, along with a few other taxa that seem generally to restrict fruiting at our site to community-wide masts (e.g., Willughbeia, Diospyros,  Dillenia, Whitfordiodendron). I'll let you know when we know more (assuming we are still collecting data- our park head has just ordered the site closed temporarily to deal with illegal logging in the site, which has already affected one of our long term plots).

Cheers,
Andy

On Aug 6, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Colin Maycock wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Things are about to start flowering in Sepilok. I did a quick check on some of the Dipts that lead off our GF events (Shorea confusa and Dipterocarpus applanatus) and have flower buds on these. These are relatively rare species in Sepilok i.e. only 3 and 5 individual in our 160 Dipt plot - so it is hard to know at this stage how big the event will be.
>
> I also have bud starting to develop on Shorea xanthophylla - but at this stage they are tiny and can only be see when you are in the canopy.
>
> Last year we had about ~60% of the adult dipts flower i.e. 3253 trees of the 5549 in our 160 ha Dipterocarp plot flowered.  We saw lots of variation in terms of the % individuals that flowered among the different species ranging from 0 % in Anisoptera costata up to 93% for Shorea multiflora.
>

> Colin

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Andrew J. Marshall

Department of Anthropology
Graduate Group in Ecology
Animal Behavior Graduate Group