[Mastwatch] Casual observations at Gunung Palung

Serge Wich sergewich1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 12:23:46 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

Thanks Andy, good to hear about the mast. Here in the north of Sumatra we
think we have a mast up in the far north on a new orangutan reintroduction
site we just opened. We are collecting data there on phenology so with
hindsight I hope we will be able to tell whether this was a true mast. In
another area up in the hills 45 minutes from Medan in an old botanical
garden there seems to be a mast as well, but we have no data from there, but
when I visited many species were flowering. Unfortunately Andy and I share
difficulties at our research sites and we have not been able to collect our
regular phenology data in Ketambe so we have no info from there on the mast.
A real loss, but the site was closed due to political reasons for a few
months.

I also have a question. With all the mast info from casual observations and
phenology datasets I was wondering whether there is a sense in putting all
of this in a database that is or is not spatially explicit and perhaps do
some analyses on it. It would still be nice to understand more about masting
and where it occurs and how synchronous it is over larger areas or what
time-shifts are between areas. I have no idea how much data there are, but
it might be something to try to do together?

Cheers,

Serge