[Mastwatch] Casual observations at Danum Valley

Noko KUZE nouko at mva.biglobe.ne.jp
Wed Aug 10 13:44:21 PDT 2011

Dear All

Hello!
I would like to inform mast around Borneo Rainforest Lodge (BRL) in
Danum Valley Conservation Area, Sabah Malaysia.

Last year, we had a huge mast fruiting (more than 70% of trees had
fruiting, included Dipterocarpaceae and other families, e.g. Durio).
In this year, fruiting is few compared with annual fruiting.

However, I heard from my co-reseaher (Tomoyuki TAJIMA) who is in BRL
now, that he observed a few flowering just now.
He will go back to Sepilok at the end of this month.
Then he will tell more information to Colin and me.

We have continue monthly fall fruit census still now as same as the
paper (below).

Kanamori T, Kuze N, Bernard H, Malim TP, Kohshima S. 2010. Feeding
ecology of Bornean orangutans (<I>Pongo pygmaeus morio</I>) in Danum
Valley, Sabah, Malaysia: a 3-year record including two mast fruitings.
American Journal of Primatology 72:820-840.

With Best Regards,
Noko KUZE

Noko KUZE

E-mail: nouko at mva.biglobe.ne.jp

Wildlife Research Center of Kyoto University,
2-24 Tanaka-Sekiden-cho,
Sakyo, Kyoto, 606-8203, Japan