[Mastwatch] Casual observations at Gunung Palung

Serge Wich sergewich1 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 12:05:19 PDT 2011

Dear Cam et al,

Thank you for the update on the history of mastwatch. Yoour points about the
bias in the dataset are of course very true and we should certainly use
caution when using these observations. But as you say it would be
interesting to have them in a database. If we do that we can perhaps link it
to published literature and perhaps combine them in a useful way. Not sure
yet how, but it might be feasible. I could put things in a GIS layer if all
people that have contributed data would simply let me know the coordinates
of the area where they made the observations, the month and year and whether
it was flowering or fruiting. This would be less detailed than the database
form, but at least contain some info that might be useful. If people would
think they would be able to do this I can send out an excel file for this
and then later on send some maps with the data on it per year or something.
Then we can see if there is something in it for a short publication.

At the same time we could add a column to the excel worksheet where people
can add whether they are interested to receive the same datasheet every 3-4
months and then I can send it around every 3-4 months to those people. This
would be a relatively small effort since the only thing one would have to do
is copy down the line of the site and change the month and one per year the
year and tick a box of whether there is masting flower or fruiting or not.

We can add a comments column as well for people to add whatever extra info
they have on genera and species that are masting. If data come in every 3-4
months I can make a new map and send it out to everyone so people get a nice
update on where mast is and where there is no mast. If people like this idea
please let me know. Once we have a few years of data we can see if we can
make a more solid publication out of this in addition to perhaps a short
report to warm people up for the project.

Let me know what you think.

Best wishes,

Serge