[Mastwatch] Mastwatch database

Ashton, Peter pashton at oeb.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 25 10:38:40 PDT 2011

Hi Chuck,

You will be aware that molecular phylogenetics has shown that Sorea is not a natural genus (though there is no morphological or anatomical character to date which can distinguish the two clades separated by Hopea and Neobalanocarpus, so eventually some idiot will doubtless raise the sections). Parashorea is basal to all the red meranti sections, and unlike them several of its species extend to seasonal Indo-Burma, where they do not experience mass flowering. Dryobalanops on the other hand is fairly basal in the whole Shoreae clade, yet is confined to perhumid Sunda though Miocene fossil records are claimed for India. Yet Dr. aromatica is well known to flower out of mast years, and I have seen individuals of others do the same more often than most Sunda dipts (D. crinitus and S. multiflora, and the riparian species also do). I have not noticed S. xanthophylla, though.

Peter