[Mastwatch] Developing El Nino

Sakai Shoko shokosakai at chikyu.ac.jp
Fri Aug 10 21:42:24 PDT 2012

Dear all,

In Lambir Hills, Sarawak, my colleagues have confirmed flower buds on
some dipterocarp species including Shorea beccariana, one of the most
abundant dipterocarp species in the 4ha crane plot.

So we are expecting general flowering, although the magnitude of the event
is not clear yet. It is unusual to have flowering in Summer of the
northern hemisphere
in Lambir.

Our friends also told me that local people around Bintulu observed
intensive flowering
of durians in July, and they expected large crop this year.

Shoko

Shoko SAKAI
Research Institute for Humanity and Nature
Motoyama 457-4, Kamigamo
Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8047, Japan

Tel: 075-707-2302
Fax:075-707-2507