[Mastwatch] Shorea albida

Cam Webb cwebb at oeb.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 2 01:29:53 PDT 2014

[Reposting to list for Christopher Philipson (not a list subscriber)]

----
Subject: Re: [Mastwatch] Shorea albida
From: Christopher Philipson <christopher.philipson at ...>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 13:02:39 +0200
----
Hi all,

Yes, it's great to hear so many people interested in these questions!

I think what I know as Dryobalanops beccarii - (See paper below for
published sapling growth rates) - I am also seeing D. beccariana as a
synonym.

At Danum we have seen evidence for Parashorea flowering every year (as
Colin said also mentioned), and certainly Kapur flowering very
regularly.

One big question is how the changes in ENSO cycles (whatever they may
be) will alter the dynamics of flowering - particularly for the more
drought sensitive species.  Could they end up being triggered too easily
or regularly - and end up with insufficient stores to set fruit?

Cheers
Chris

Recent publications:
Christopher D. Philipson, Philippe Saner, Toby R. Marthews, Reuben Nilus, Glen Reynolds, Lindsay A. Turnbull, Andy Hector (2012)
Light-based regeneration niches: evidence from 21 dipterocarp species using size-specific RGRs. Biotropica.doi:10.1111/j.1744-7429.2011.00833.x

Ecology: Plant growth rates and seed size: a re-evaluation
http://www.esajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1890/11-0261.1

Dr. Christopher Philipson
Institute of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies,
Winterthuerstrasse 190,
CH-8057, Zurich
Tel:  00 41 44 635 61 29
Fax: 00 41 44 635 57 11