[Mastwatch] West Kalimantan mast

Cam Webb cwebb at oeb.harvard.edu
Sun Apr 6 22:14:26 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I have some news to add from the Gunung Palung National Park area of
West Kal.

We’ve just finished a big durian harvest here, and Endro Setiawan says
there are now ripe fruits of a few generally masting species in the
local market in the east of the park (at Pangkalan Jihing): tampoi,
kapul (the former white-fleshed, the latter yellow-fleshed, one of which
is probably _Baccaurea macrocarpa_), and teratong (a forest
_Durio_). However, he also says there are immature fruits of _Shorea
laevis_, _S. crassa_ and several other _Shorea_ in the forest.

Additionally, Sarah Jasse, who is managing a research project at the Cabang
Panti research station in the park, said yesterday that the phenology
sheets coming in from the research assistants are loaded with ‘B’(uds)
and ‘F’(lowers).

So I guess these is a big mast brewing here too.  I’ll send more info
when I get into the forest myself next week.