[Mastwatch] Shorea albida

Cam Webb cwebb at oeb.harvard.edu
Sun Apr 6 19:21:58 PDT 2014

[Posting message for list from Ian Baillie]

Hi Peter and All

My apologies for my slow response.  I have read the correspondence with
interest.

My contribution is dated, as I last looked at Sarawak met dat some 30+ years
ago.  There must be more stations and much longer data runs now.

My speculation then as to why droughts are more frequent along the coasts
(if this is indeed confirmed by fuller modern data) was roughly:

1 There was not much coast-inland difference during the monsoonal periods of
widespread prolonged cyclonic rainfall
2 In the inter-monsoonsal periods, rainfall was mainly as intense localised
convectional  storms, which originated from spatially varaiable intense
warming and  development of cells of unstable up-wafting air
3 These convectional storms developed less on the coast because the
potentially unstable  cells were bled off by sea breezes in the later part
of the day.
4 Therefore the there is lower frequency of drought-relieving connectional
rainfall near coasts .

But I never developed this any further so it remains speculative

I look forward to hearing how this discussion progresses.

Regards

Ian