[Mastwatch] Big fruitfall at Gunung Palung

Cam Webb cwebb at oeb.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 21 20:47:16 PDT 2014

Hi All,

I just talked by phone to Endro Setiawan, senior staff of the Gunung
Palung National Park office. He said that the recent mast fruiting at
Gunung Palung has been huge; from what he described, I estimate it may
have been the biggest successful mast since 1990! It’s been a very long
time since we’ve seen dense dipterocarp seedling carpets, but he said
there were dipterocarp seeds everywhere, starting to germinate (at the
end of July). He most recently visited the forest in the south of the
park (Pangkal Tapang area), but had also observed the Cabang Panti
Research Station site (central west) several weeks earlier. There, the
dominant Dipterocarpus sublamellatus (alluvial) and Shorea quadrinervis
(low hills) were in heavy fruit. Overall, almost every dipterocarp tree
he saw was in fruit, of almost all the species. Plus all the other
masting taxa: Koompassia, Artocarpus, Nephelium, Manigera, Durio,
Baccaurea, Scaphium, etc.

Great news!

More text and pics at: http://camwebb.info/blog/2014-08-22/