[Mastwatch] 2014 Mast event study

Cam Webb cwebb at oeb.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 22 20:28:44 PDT 2014

[Old Subject: Re: Big fruitfall at Gunung Palung]

Hi Colin,

> Do you have rainfall/temp data for that area?

I do have daily rainfall for nearby Sukadana, and Andy Marshall and/or
Cheryl Knott may have rainfall and temp for within the park.

> In the rainfall/temperature data for Sandakan - there isn't a
> pronounced drought signature, but there is a pronounced reduction in
> temps - corresponding to the timing of the polar vortex

We had a long drought Jan-Feb, during which it always feels chilly at
night, but I don’t remember feeling/hearing about lower than usual temps.

> I guess I'm wondering if there is enough data around to do a Borneo-wide
> assessment of flowering/fruiting intensity - environmental conditions.

What a great idea.  Let’s ask, “Who on this list might be able to provide:

 1) Their own temp/rainfall records for Jan-Jun 2014, or a commitment to
    seek out those data from nearby weather stations,
 2) Qualitative (descriptive) assessments of flowering/fruiting/recruitment,
 3) Quantitative (phenology, seedling plots) assessments of
    flowering/fruiting/recruitment?”

Even a fairly rough study (4-5 sites & descriptive mast data only) would
be fun to try.