[Mastwatch] 2014 Mast event study

Sepilok2010 . sepilokdata at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 16:27:00 PDT 2014

Hi Peter and others,

Ferry was just suggesting that it is time that we did something like this
across a number of sites in Borneo, Sumatra and Malaysia. With the wide
range of low cost mini data logger/temperature sensors now available (e.g.
Thermobuttons, ibuttons, etc.) it would be relatively easy to do.

Eyen Khoo (from Forest Research Centre, Sabah Forestry Department) and I
still maintain a climbing crew and the 160 ha Dipterocarp plot in Sepilok -
so that could be one potential site. I suspect David (Burslem) and Glen
Reynolds would also like to include the Danum 50 ha plot. We could also
discuss with Prof Kitayama to see if he would want one/some of his Mt
Kinabalu sites included.

Eyen - this might also be good to do in our areas with the critically
endangered dipts (Sianggau for Keruing Jarang, Nalumad for Keruing Renau,
Kampung Tambilidon for Shorea kudatensis). The iButtons are a few hundred
RM/piece (Temp alone is ~ RM200, Temp and RH ~ RM450).

Colin