[Mastwatch] 2014 Masting

Sepilok2010 . sepilokdata at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 14:50:36 PDT 2014

Hi All,

As the Mastwatch list has been quiet recently and seedfall should be
starting soon - I was wondering how the 2014 Masting is developing in other
parts of Borneo/SE Asia.

Our phenology data from Sepilok is interesting. Overall about 34% of our
Dipts flowered (compared to 60% in 2010), apart from an overall low % of
trees flowering - there are also marked differences in what flowered.

The flowering event has been dominated by the early-flowering species (e.g.
Dipterocarpus grandiflorus, Parashorea spp., Shorea xanthophylla) with on
average 70+% of the individuals flowering (similar to what we saw in 2010).
The big difference is that the species that follow on from these ones
(Shorea johorensis, S smithiana, etc.) haven't really gone this year - with
most of the later flowering species having less than 10% of the individuals
flowering.

Colin