[Mastwatch] 2014 Masting

Eizi Suzuki suzuki at sci.kagoshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Jul 1 17:01:23 PDT 2014

Hi, All.

May to early June 2014, I visited Tangkahan area of Gn. Leuser National
Park, North Sumatra. I found many flowering Shorea, Vatica and
Dipterocarpus. Other families also had many flowered trees.
Masting occurred in North Sumatra, also.

Best regards,

Suzuki

Sepilok2010 . <sepilokdata at gmail.com>さん:
> Hi All,
>
> As the Mastwatch list has been quiet recently and seedfall should be
> starting soon - I was wondering how the 2014 Masting is developing in
other
> parts of Borneo/SE Asia.
>
> Our phenology data from Sepilok is interesting. Overall about 34% of
our
> Dipts flowered (compared to 60% in 2010), apart from an overall low %
of
> trees flowering - there are also marked differences in what flowered.
>
> The flowering event has been dominated by the early-flowering species
(e.g.
> Dipterocarpus grandiflorus, Parashorea spp., Shorea xanthophylla) with
on
> average 70+% of the individuals flowering (similar to what we saw in
2010).
> The big difference is that the species that follow on from these ones
> (Shorea johorensis, S smithiana, etc.) haven't really gone this year -
with
> most of the later flowering species having less than 10% of the
individuals
> flowering.
>
> Colin

Eizi Suzuki, Prof. Dr. 鈴木英治 鹿児島大学理工学研究科(理学系)
Earth and Environmental Sciences,
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Kagoshima University,
Kagoshima 890-0065  Japan   tel/fax +81-99-285-8942
Home page  http://biodiversity.sci.kagoshima-u.ac.jp/suzuki/index.htm
博物館長(兼務)http://www.museum.kagoshima-u.ac.jp/
日本生態学会大会鹿児島大会 http://www.esj.ne.jp/meeting/62/