[Mastwatch] Shorea albida

Chuck Cannon chuck.cannon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 07:23:36 PDT 2014

Hi Peter,

In thinking about these peats, it's imporatnt to include their
historical geography.  For much of the last ice age, there was probably
a large unified (?) peat in central Sundaland, possibly much larger and
certainly slightly cooler than today.

I've always been amazed that such a small forest type, that is often
highly fragmented naturally, could produce such high biodiversity that
was also highly specialized.  In extreme environments, you typically get
a few species that strongly dominate the community because of clear and
pervasive selection pressures.  perhaps the conditions are not as
extreme as all of that either but there does seem to be a strong
environmental filter.

The fact that the area was probably substantially larger in the past
would partially answer that question.

All the best,
Chuck