[Mastwatch] Shorea albida

Chuck Cannon chuck.cannon at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 12:37:54 PDT 2014

I've always had a feeling that Dryobalanops was gregarious and they
attempt to fruit more frequently than other Dipts, perhaps locally
creating the benefits of synchronous fruiting?  The populations north of
Gunung Palung flowered and fruited (with varying success) completely
outside of any general fruiting.  Does anyone think that kapur behaves
differently than other dipts?

I've always been curious about the fact that kapur is so abundant north
of the Matan River (which forms the northern border of Gunung Palung NP)
and on the eastern side of the Palung mountain range, while it is
virtually absent on the western side, where the research site is
located.   Chance of history and limited dispersal?

Chuck