[Mastwatch] Shorea albida

Chuck Cannon chuck.cannon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 09:06:55 PDT 2014

Hi folks,

this is great!  I hope everyone is enjoying this.

There was a broad-leaved Dryobalanops species in the Sungai Matan area that
was mixed with the local D. beccariana (forgive me if I am wrong about the
species name, just lazy to look it up).  the other one was certainly a
different tree.

I wonder what the climate would have been like 20,000 years ago on these
soils?  I don't think they would have existed extensively on the shelf,
would they?  How quickly soils could develop to any depth is a big question
-- depends on many factors, I would think.

It probably would have been wet enough for rainforest but certainly cooler
and the long-term patterns like the ENSO cycle would have been different.
 I've seen simulations say they would have been stronger and some that say
they would have been weaker.  Take your pick.  This would have been closer
to the predominant climate through the last glacial cycle than current
conditions.

Chuck

--
Charles Cannon