[Mastwatch] Fruiting in East Kalimantan

Gabriella F gabriella.fredriksson at gmail.com
Sun May 31 03:11:05 PDT 2015

Dear all,

Following up on David Neidels e-mail from January, I wanted to add that
I just made a day trip in Sungai Wain, near Balikpapan, East Kalimantan.
The entire forest floor was covered in seedlings after a mast fruiting
that ended March-April this year. There were still some fresh
Dipterocarpaceae fruits.
Besides the various species mentioned by David, also the Durians,
Dacryodes, Artocarpus etc joined the mast and there were various sun
bear scats with clumps of durian seedlings along the trail.
According to my colleague, the mast was big, compared to various before
and also evidenced by the vast amount of seedlings covering the entire
forest floor. Seed predation seems to have been low, despite high pig
densities in this forest.

Best regards,
Gabriella

Gabriella Fredriksson, PhD
Tapanuli Programme Manager
PanEco, Yayasan Ekosistem Lestari
Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme

Jl. K.H. Wahid Hasyim No 51/74
Medan 20154
North Sumatra
Indonesia

Tel: +62-61-4514360
Fax: +62-61-4514749
Mobile: +62-812-97822007
Email: gabriella.fredriksson at gmail.com

Website: www.sumatranorangutan.org
Website: www.batangtoru.org

Website: www.beruangmadu.org

Gabriella Fredriksson, PhD
Founder KWPLH Sun bear Education Center, Balikpapan,
East Kalimantan, Indonesia
co-chair Sun Bear Expert Team IUCN/SSC/BSG
Website: www.beruangmadu.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MVtjzCNvnU