[phylocom-user] allocating more memory to phylomatic

Steven Kembel steve.kembel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:30:54 PST 2011

Hi Jean,

if you compile Phylomatic in 64-bit mode you can use as much memory as you have available on your computer.

To do this in Mac OS X or Linux make the following changes to the Makefile in the /src directory included with Phylocom, then recompile the program by going to that directory in the terminal and type 'make'. This will produce new 64-bit versions of phylocom and phylomatic that will let you use system memory >3GB. You will need the OS X developer tools installed to do this on a Mac.

Change the following lines in the Makefile (you will add the "-m64" at the end of each line):
CC = gcc -Wall -g -O1 -m64
LIBS	= -lm -m64

-Steve